Saturday, April 16, 2011

Eyjafjallajökull - remember that one?

I sure won't ever forget. It happened about a year ago. The eruption of that volcano in Iceland in 2010. ...
with that gigantic ashcloud following that covered like almost all of Europe... Aaahhh... you see
Hundreds and hundreds of planes couldn't fly for days and days... and thousands and thousands of people were stuck on tons of airports and not just in Europe, even in the States... and I was one of them.
Today I can laugh about it. At that time I was still working as an Au Pair in California. I decided to surprise my people in Germany for a couple of days. Only my parents were in on this plan.
My first flight headed out on friday morning going from San Francisco Airport (SFO) to the O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. Arriving there my flight to Deutschland was cancelled!!... I was stuck!! uuuhh yaaa... not good

The airport was totally overcrowded & chaotic. The staff kept sending people all over. I pretty much spent an entire day pulling my 3 heavy suitcases all over the entire airport. I was booked on several different flights, but they wouldn't leave until the next day or even a couple days later!! Nightmare, I tell ya. I only had 9 days of vacation....
Ukay I'll narrow my stay in Chicago down: 1 day travelling & at the airport; 2 days & 2 nights at a Holiday Inn; I met people from all over & I was greatful for all my language skills; also I spend hours waiting for a couple of flights that were cancelled anyway. GREAT!
Fortuanetly I brought my american cell & laptop, so at least I was able to keep in touch with everyone.
Finally I was booked onto an overnight flight to Stockholm, Sweden... even in Business class. That actually was awesome!! Much more comfortable ^^
Also check this out:
That very plane was one of the first ones that was allowed to fly to Europe.

to be continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment